Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Stick-y rice and the heart of adventure

Hey Good Morning!

Sitting at the coffeeshop on the balcony- sun beaming. Its going to be a hot day.

Yesterday was exciting. Met a local Loas guy the other day- Lei. He was hanging out at his friend's restaurant. We talked a bit and I asked him if he could teach me how to cook a couple dishes. He was very friendly and excited by the idea. So he picked us up by motorbike the next day and we went to the market and then to his house.

He taught me how to make sticky rice on a stick. Its kind of like a corndog with stickyrice instead. Now I have like 15 different ideas to try using this simple technique. My friend Quinn came and video taped it. So I will have my first video coming within the next couple weeks. Its gonna be a little rough, as Quinn was getting used to the camera but regardless I think you'll like it. He did a great job for his first time. woot.

It was such a awesome day. Real Loas. This is what I want to do everyday! Meet people and eat- learn to cook new things.

We met and hung out with Lei and his family. Drank beers and homemade whiskey-strong stuff. They invited us back tonight again for Lei's younger brother's birthday, and even to stay over night. We will probably take up the offer, since the hostel we stayed at last night was infested with flees [luckily we escaped unbitten!]

This what I want my blog / my videos to be: An excuse to get to explore the heart of wherever I am. Its so much better to go away from the touristy areas and make friends. The people here are so kind once you get past the tourist part.

Enough of my ramblings. On to the photos. Not as many pics as I thought there would be since I took mostly video. But just wait for the video it will be worth it.


IMG_9843


IMG_9846


IMG_9847


IMG_9848


IMG_9853


IMG_9862


LEI

Our new friend Lei


souppot

Tom Yum Gai [Chicken Soup] as prepared by Lei's uncle. So good!


soupbowl

Looking at this picture is making me hungry for it again...


No comments:

Post a Comment